- Classes taught in Spanish
- Guggenheim card: Free museum admission and discounts
- International excursion
- Top art and design school!
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- This program is for studio art majors or minors
- Open to intermediate, advanced, and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Additional supplemental materials
- Entry Requirements: Valid passport with student visa
Dates & Fees
TOTAL SEMESTER CREDIT HOURS
180 – 270 contact hours per semester
12-18 credits per semester
Designed for art majors/minors who wish to study abroad in Bilbao, this program offers a dynamic opportunity to practice and participate in studio arts classes with students from Spain, as well as students from across Europe and the world. Students are required to have taken two semesters of college level Spanish. Some courses of study may require a higher working knowledge of Spanish. Students attend classes at the Facultad de Bellas Artes (Department of Fine Arts) at the Universidad del País Vasco, Campus de Leioa (the University of the Basque Country, Leioa Campus).
Due to the hands-on nature of the studio courses, there is minimal time spent in a lecture setting. Most classes are taught in Spanish (Castilian). Some courses are taught in Basque and students are discouraged from taking those classes. API strongly encourages students to take classes with professors who speak some English, and we will provide guidelines post-acceptance. Most courses are equivalent to 3-6 semester credits each, though the amount of credit depends on the course.
INTENSIVE SPANISH OPTION
Students who want to refresh their Spanish skills before starting their classes in Bilbao can add an intensive two weeks or month of Spanish language study in Salamanca for 3-6 semester credits. Contact the API office for more information about this option.
API students will receive a transcript from theUniversidad del País Vasco (Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea) upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with host families)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Ryan McCann is the Bilbao Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Spain.
Andrea Gorricho Morales is the Bilbao Resident Director who will work with you during your stay in Spain.