- Classes taught in Spanish & English
- Students can enroll directly in classes with University of Deusto students
- Internships available (for credit; additional fee)
- Tandem partner program
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to all levels of Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Additional supplemental forms
- Entry requirements: valid passport with student visa
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
180-225 contact hours per semester
12-15 credits per semester
Classes in this program are designed for international students who want to study abroad in Bilbao to increase their Spanish language proficiency in an immersive setting. Students choose courses from the following disciplines: Spanish language, Hispanic and Basque culture, Spanish civilization, literature, and more. A student’s Spanish level is determined by a placement exam administered upon arrival by the University of Deusto. Students can take up to 15 credits per semester and can add additional courses, internships, and practicums for an extra fee.
COURSES WITH SPANISH STUDENTS
Students have the opportunity to enroll in up to two classes per semester with Spanish students. These classes are taught in Spanish and English. Students at all levels can enroll in classes with Spaniards that are taught in English as long as students meet the course prerequisites. However, API students must place into level Spanish III or higher in order to be eligible to enroll in classes with Spaniards that are taught in Spanish.
DEUSTO TANDEM PROGRAM
API students at Deusto have the exciting opportunity to participate in the Tandem Program, which facilitates intercultural exchange by matching full-time Spanish students with recently arrived study abroad students. It is a program with mutual benefits! The local Spanish students are eager to spend time with their API conversation partner and show them around Bilbao, and the API students are encouraged to integrate with local students and learn more about Spanish life, both inside and out of the university setting.
API students will receive a transcript from the Universidad de Deusto upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with host families)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Ryan McCann is the Bilbao Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Spain.
Andrea Gorricho Morales is the Bilbao Resident Director who will work with you during your stay in Spain.