- Classes taught in English except Portuguese language classes
- Housing: Apartments
- U.S. accredited transcript
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Good academic standing at home institution
- Students must be currently enrolled in a U.S. or foreign university
- Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Entry requirements: valid passport with student visa (more information provided post-acceptance)
- Contact your home campus study abroad advisor regarding special arrangements for UMass students
- Submit API application, one letter of recommendation, statement of purpose,and one official transcript
- Supplemental application requirements are solicited upon receipt of API application
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS SEMESTER
12-15 Semester Credits
Students who choose to study abroad in Lisbon with API complete courses offered in English by the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth’s UMass in Lisbon program, as well as The University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE). Portuguese language courses are also available through the New University of Lisbon (NOVA) Students will select from one of two academic tracks – an International Business Track, or a Liberal Arts and Humanities Track.
In the International Business Track, students can structure their program as follows:
- Take 2 of the UMass Dartmouth courses on Portuguese culture, history, etc.
- AND 2-3 courses from ISCTE on international business;
- OR 2 courses from ISCTE on international business AND 1 further UMass Dartmouth course on Portuguese culture, history, etc;
- OR 2 courses from ISCTE on international business AND 1 Portuguese language course from NOVA
In the Liberal Arts and Humanities Track, students can structure their program as follows:
- Take 3 of the UMass Dartmouth courses on Portuguese culture, history, etc.
- AND 1 Portuguese language course from NOVA
- OR 1 Portuguese language course from NOVA AND 1 course from ISCTE on international business
API students will receive a transcript from the the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth upon successful completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Mobile Phone
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Transit Pass
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Erin Meagher is the Lisbon Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Portugal.