- Courses with Irish and other international students
- Best of both worlds – small Irish community on the outskirts of Dublin City
- Ireland’s only university town
- Beautiful old campus buildings mixed with modern architecture
- Many scenic trails and country walks
- Charming small town feel
- Vibrant campus community
- Approximately twenty miles from Dublin city center
- International excursion
- Minimum G.P.A. 3.0
- Open to freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry Requirements: Valid passport with supporting documentation
NUIM was named among the top Irish universities in a Times Higher Education ranking for 2012-2013!
Dates & Fees
If you require syllabi that are not listed below, please contact your API Program Manager.
Courses are arranged in the seminar and lecture style. Most courses at Maynooth University are equivalent to 2.5 U.S. semester credits. Students take up to 6 courses and receive 15 credit hours per semester. Not all courses are offered every semester or every year. The course selection may vary, and no course is guaranteed. Some courses may have prerequisites, and some courses may require minimal additional fees for labs, equipment, etc. Registration takes place upon arrival; however, we recommend that after consulting the API website for course listings, students have 10 courses approved by their home university prior to departure, in order to allow for scheduling conflicts and the possible unavailability of certain classes. There is a 1-week add/drop period at the beginning of the semester at Maynooth University.
Students may find a link to the Maynooth University course listings below. Please pay attention to prerequistes and restrictions. Contact the API office if you have any questions on available coruses.
IRISH STUDIES OPTIONS
Maynooth University offers a flexible Irish Studies pathway designed specifically to introduce international students from all disciplines to Ireland’s history, literature and culture. API students may opt to take a one-semester, introductory module in Irish Studies, or to enrol for the wider-ranging Certificate in Irish Studies, which can be taken over one or two semesters.
INTRODUCTION TO IRISH STUDIES 2.5 CREDITS (SEMESTER).
Coordinated by An Foras Feasa: the Institute for Research in Irish Historical and Cultural Traditions, this module draws on a number of academic disciplines, including literature, film, and music. No previous knowledge of these subjects is required as this introductory course caters for study abroad students from all academic backgrounds. Weekly classes, led by subject specialists and conducted through the medium of English, are complemented by field trips that introduce students to issues, trends and debates relating to Irish society, cultural heritage, and national identity. Tracing a number of key themes across a range of twentieth-century and contemporary texts and films, students are encouraged to explore and debate what it means, and has meant, to be Irish.
CERTIFICATE IN IRISH CULTURAL HERITAGE 10 CREDITS (SEMESTER OR ACADEMIC YEAR)
This certificate on Irish Cultural Heritage is available to students visiting Maynooth University for a single semester and for the full academic year. The program offers an interdisciplinary evaluation of early Irish cultural history with particular emphasis on archaeological, literary, historical and linguistic evidence. Modules are delivered by academic experts while there is an exciting program of Field Seminars that bring students to some of the most iconic archaeological and historical sites. There are no prerequisites and no exams: all assessment is through written assignments. Semester students may take other courses at Maynooth University for additional credits in order to retain full-time status (12-semester credits).
- Students choose one core module and three optional ones:
- ID001 Introducing Irish Cultural Heritage (core)
- ID003 The Cultural Heritage of Newgrange (optional)
- ID004 Cultural Heritage & the Irish Literary Tradition (optional)
- ID005 Cultural Heritage & the Early Irish Heroic Tradition (optional)
- ID013 The Cultural Heritage of ‘Royal Sites’ (optional)
- LC101 Irish Language 1 (optional)
- PH204 Medieval Philosophy (optional)
CERTIFICATE IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS 10 CREDITS SEMESTER
The objective of this certificate is to provide visiting international students with a grounding in the functional principles of international business. Upon completion of the certificate, students will demonstrate an intermediate knowledge of the fundamentals of business and management in general, as well as a solid grounding in international business specifically. In particular, the program will challenge cultural and management stereotypes and question the application and appropriateness of frameworks established under more traditional perspectives. Semester students may take other courses at Maynooth University for additional credits in order to retain full-time status (12-semester credits).
- MN215 International Business (Fall)
- MN313 International Marketing (Fall)
- MN322 Managing Multinational Cooperations (Fall)
- MN224 International Marketing (Spring)
- MN214 International HR Management (Spring)
- MN 323 International Corporate Entrepreneurship (Spring)