- Courses in English and German
- Program designed for international students
- Tandem partner program
- Special options for advanced German speakers
- FORUM on Education Abroad QUIP accreditation
- International excursion in spring
- 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to second semester sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Open to all levels of German speakers
- Completed API Application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Copy of passport
- Entry requirements: valid passport and student visa
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
The Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) was specifically created by one of Germany’s top universities to offer North American and international students cultural and business courses focusing on Germany and its role in Europe.
What is unique about this program is that it is primarily offered in English, and on the North American calendar (as opposed to many other German universities which operate on a different academic calendar). All students are required to take a German language course, and depending on their level they will follow a regular (3-4 credit for beginners) or intensive (6-8 for non-beginners) credit option. They then select 2-4 culture options to round out their academic schedule.
Advanced-level German speakers may wish to consider the GermanPLUS+ track. The GermanPLUS+ track consists of two German language and three subject courses, all taught in German.
In addition to being one of Germany’s and Europe’s top universities, the FU-BEST program meets the FORUM on Education Abroad’s standards of excellence. FU-BEST is a fantastic option for students looking study abroad in Berlin and receive high-quality instruction in their native language.
Students who are interested in studying at FU-BEST for an academic year are very welcome to do so. University protocol dictates that students should first apply only for the semester of their arrival. Arrangements to extend their stay for an additional month will be made on-site. Students are advised to speak with their home university about whether they should be registered as an academic year student in advance, or wait until their arrival on-site in Germany (and the subsequent extension of their stay) to modify their standing at the home university.
API students receive their transcript from Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (two meals per day and laundry with host family)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Transit Pass
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Lauren Daniels is the Berlin Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Germany.
Christopher Pepin is the Berlin Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Germany.