- Classes taught in French
- Transcript from U.S. accredited institution available (UMass Amherst)
- Teaching internships available for credit
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to all levels of French speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Entry requirements: valid passport with student visa
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDITS AVAILABLE PER TERM
|QUARTER||9 semester credits|
|SEMESTER||10-16 semester credits|
|ACADEMIC YEAR||20+ semester credits|
Students who choose to study abroad in Paris with API in the Language and Culture Studies Program select a combination of French language and cultural electives, referred to as French Civilization courses. The number of credits earned for each language course and the cultural electives varies according to the particular session a student selects.
A student’s French level is based on an online placement exam administered before arrival by the CCFS. The CCFS divides their language levels into 5 main categories: Débutant (A1), Élémentaire (A2), Intermédaire (B1), Avancé (B2), and Supérieur (C1).
- Beginning level (A1) students selecting the fall quarter program complete 8 credits of language and 1 credit of phonetics instruction for a total of 9 semester credits. Fall quarter students at all language levels may attend up to three French Civilization courses for 1 credit each.
FALL SEMESTER AND SPRING SEMESTER
- All students selecting a semester program complete 8 credits of language instruction, 2 credits of phonetics instruction, and 4-6 credits of French civilization courses for a total of 14-16 semester credits per semester.
- Students at the Intermediate (B1) language level or above have the option of earning an additional credit for 1-2 of their civilization courses by completing a supplementary paper for each course at the close of the semester.
- Students at the Intermediate (B1) language level or above have the option of earning an additional three credits each semester if they complete an elective course taught exclusively for API students (see course offerings page for details). Students generally take this course in place of one of the cultural courses at the CCFS. An additional fee may be charged for participation in the API course (whether taken in place of or in addition to a regular elective course). Course subject to minimum enrollment.
- Students at all levels also have the option of earning an additional three credits each semester if they complete an elective course taught in English exclusively for API students from University of Connecticut faculty.
- A limited number of teaching internships are also available for students at the Intermediate (B1) language level or above. An additional fee is charged for participation in the 3-credit internship.
Transcripts are issued by the Cours de Civilisation Française de la Sorbonne. If a student enrolls in the API-led course or the teaching internship, chooses to complete supplementary papers, or if their home university requires it, they can elect to receive a transcript from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst for an additional fee. If a student enrolls in the University of Connecticut elective courses, they will receive a transcript from the University of Connecticut.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with some options)
- Transit Pass
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Rebecca Cott is the Paris Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to France.
Francine Bost-Millisher, Laure Bettencourt, and Violaine Peladan are the Paris Resident Directors and will work with you during your stay in France.