- Gain professional experience in an international setting
- Improve Spanish language skills
- Experience the functioning of a government from the inside
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- Open to rising juniors and seniors
- Open to students who have completed a minimum of four semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Completed API application
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- University contact information form
- Entry requirement: valid passport with student visa
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
3 semester credits
The Government Internship Program at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) is designed for students interested in public policy and administration, social development and international cooperation. Students will complete an internship within a local government office in Quito. On average, students will work approximately 30 hours per week. Students will benefit from an in-class component that provides a platform for analyzing the Ecuadorian workplace and cultural norms. In combination with the internship hours, this in-class component and corresponding assignments allow students to earn 3 U.S. semester credits. Students who are interested in completing a language course may choose to do so at the USFQ for an additional fee.
Internship Placement Options
Internship options are available in the following offices:
- Department of Culture
- Department of Environment
- Department of Mobility
- General Administration
- Mayor’s Office
- Ministry of Communication
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Security and Governance
- Ministry of Social Inclusion
- Ministry of Housing
- Office of International Relations
- Quito Tourism Office
API students receive an official transcript issued by the Universidad San Francisco de Quito upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Manuel Ramirez is the Quito Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Ecuador.
Andrea Coba is the Quito Resident Director and will work with you during your stay in Ecuador.