- Classes taught in Spanish
- Transcript from U.S. accredited institution (Marist College)
- Round-trip airfare (Miami-Havana) included
- 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student and under the age of 25
- Open to advanced level Spanish speakers (with a minimum of 4-5 semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent)
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Completion of an oral interview
- Statement of purpose or writing sample
- Entry requirements: valid passport wtih student visa
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
12-16 SEMESTER CREDITS
Students who study abroad in Cuba with API on the Cuban and Caribbean Studies Program will take a required Spanish language course throughout the term. This course uses the Cuban experience as a backdrop for language practice, discussion, and writing assignments. Students will select a “track” course covering either Cuban studies or Caribbean studies. Students choose their remaining courses from a selection of offerings in art history, communication, literature, and cultural/regional studies with local Cuban students. Courses are offered Monday through Friday, in both the mornings and afternoons. Course work will be supplemented by numerous cultural activities and excursions.
Students may receive transcripts from either the Universidad de la Habana or Marist College for courses taken at the Universidad de la Habana*. Marist College is a four-year, fully accredited U.S. college in Poughkeepsie, New York.
*Students indicate their preference prior to the start of the program.
- Round-Trip Airfare (Miami-Havana)
- Orientation Materials and Support
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (breakfast and dinner included)
- Language and Cultural Tools
- Medical Insurance
- Social and Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Re-Entry Materials and Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network and Global Leadership Academy
Hannah Stack is the Havana Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Cuba.
Helene Jouen and Emily Moran are the Havana Resident Directors, and will work with you during your stay in Cuba.