- Opportunity to complete a for-credit internship in business, education, health, international relations and social work
- Elective courses taught in Spanish or English
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.6 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- (Spring semester) Open to advanced and superior-level Spanish speakers
- (Fall semester) Open to high-intermediate, advanced, and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University Contact Information Form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Additional supplemental forms
- Statement of purpose and résumé
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
- 80-280 academic contact hours
- 240 internship hours
- 8-17 semester credits
This program provides an opportunity for students to improve their Spanish language skills, gain professional experience, and earn academic credit toward their degree plan by studying and interning abroad in San José, Costa Rica. Students must enter the program with a high intermediate or advanced level of Spanish, depending on the semester selected. All students will complete a Spanish placement test online prior to their departure to determine their Spanish level.
Students will complete up to three courses in combination with an 8-week internship. During the fall program, the first month will be dedicated exclusively to an intensive language course consisting of 80 contact hours. During the next three months, students can choose to complete another intensive language course in combination with one elective course in English or Spanish. The internship will begin during the third month of the program and last for a total of eight weeks. The internship requires a minimum commitment of six hours per day, five days per week (30 hours per week).
Students will complete the internship with a local business, non-governmental or non-profit organization, or government agency, in the area of the student’s academic specialty or major. A professor at Universidad Veritas will guide the student through the completion of a major project. At the conclusion of the internship experience, students present their projects for final assessment and grading. The Universidad Veritas generally recommends 3 U.S. semester credits for an eight-week internship (240 hours), though credits awarded may vary based on policies at the student’s home institution.
API students receive a transcript from the Universidad Veritas upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Hannah Stack is the San José Program Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Costa Rica.
Francy Orozco is the San José Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Costa Rica.