- Classes taught in English and Spanish
- Designed for students concentrating in the health fields
- Visits to local healthcare facilities
- Volunteer opportunities with the local community
- Opportunities for clinical observation on medical rotations
- Special ICDS scholarship opportunities!
- Minimum of 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Open to intermediate and advanced-level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
If you require syllabi that are not listed below, please contact your API Program Coordinator.
You can click to view the course syllabus here.
The first course is taught in English and discusses the most relevant aspects of the healthcare system in Costa Rica. The class will consist of lectures, individual and group exercises, site visits to clinics, hospitals, and other related sites, a workshop on the topic of the week, and a field study trip. The Spanish language course seeks to increase students’ fluency in Spanish and prepare them to interview patients, complete patients’ files, elaborate medical reports, and read texts of medical relevance effectively.
- Healthcare Systems in Latin America
- Spanish for Health Sciences