- Classes taught in English and Spanish
- Designed for students concentrating in the health fields
- Visits to local healthcare facilities
- Volunteer opportunities with the local community
- Opportunities for clinical observation on medical rotations
- Minimum of 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Open to intermediate and advanced-level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT CONTACT HOURS
105 hours per session
6 semester credits
The International Center for Development Studies (ICDS), in partnership with Costa Rica’s largest private hospital, the Hospital Clínica Bíblica, offers a six-week program for students who want to increase their knowledge of medical Spanish and the health field in Latin America. The program is designed to increase students’ language proficiency while giving them a broader understanding of the Costa Rican healthcare system. Students will complete two courses: “Healthcare Systems in Latin America” and “Spanish for Health Sciences.” The “Healthcare Systems” course is taught at the Hospital Clínica Biblíca, which has been serving patients for over seventy years.
To complement coursework, students will participate in two weekend field trips. Students also have the option of doing volunteer work in the local community if desired.
Through the Clínica Bíblica, ICDS is able to offer students the option to observe rotations with local doctors. There will be limited spaces available, and students will observe the doctor’s rotations on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (so as to avoid time conflicts with coursework). The option has no credit attached to it. Interested students will be required to demonstrate an advanced level of Spanish proficiency. For more information on this option, contact the API San José Program Manager.
Transcripts are issued jointly by the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica and the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS). Universidad Latina is accredited by the National Council of Higher Education, National Accreditation System for Higher Education (SINAES) and Red Iberoamericana para la Acreditación de la Calidad de la Educación Superior (RIACES). Universidad Latina also is a Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center for project management education programs.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Hannah Stack is the San José Program Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Costa Rica.
Francy Orozco is the San José Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Costa Rica.