- Classes taught in Spanish
- Community service opportunities with the local community
- Special ICDS scholarship opportunities!
- Minimum of 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Open to high beginner and above-level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT CONTACT HOURS
72 hours per session
6 semester credits
The Spanish and Community Engagement Program at ICDS offers students the opportunity to improve their Spanish language skills while gaining exposure to the Costa Rican society and culture. Students will complete 3 hours of class Monday through Thursday afternoons, following a morning spent engaging in community service.
The community service experiences will be incorporated into the classroom, through interactive exercises such as debates and presentations, as well as the completion of reflective essays, journals, blogs, etc.
Some examples of community work available include volunteering with a sustainable farm, helping at-risk children at a local school or community center, working with marginalized seniors, classifying pre-Columbian artifacts at a local museum, and working with migrant communities.
Transcripts are issued jointly by the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica and the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS). Universidad Latina is accredited by the National Council of Higher Education, National Accreditation System for Higher Education (SINAES) and Red Iberoamericana para la Acreditación de la Calidad de la Educación Superior (RIACES). Universidad Latina also is a Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center for project management education programs.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Community Service Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Hannah Stack is the San José Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Costa Rica.
Francy Orozco is the San José Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Costa Rica.