- Classes taught in English and Spanish
- Designed for students concentrating in the health fields
- Visits to local healthcare facilities
- Volunteer opportunities with the local community
- Opportunities for clinical observation on medical rotations
- International excursion
- Special ICDS scholarship opportunities!
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to students with a minimum of one year of college-level Spanish or the equivalent required
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
API students participate in several excursions per session designed to help familiarize them with areas of their host city, country, and surrounding region. The following is a listing of all excursions for API San José programs. All excursions are subject to change.
Students take part in a four-day field trip to Costa Rica’s neighboring country, Nicaragua. The field trip looks to provide students with a unique experience to compare and contrast social and cultural realities between two Central American countries. The trip is complemented by community work at a local town, as well as recreation time for students to enjoy Nicaragua’s natural attractions.
Students will have the opportunity to better understand how public health care services work in a rural area. Among the highlights of the trip, students will visit a small public clinic, as well as private practices to explore the differences of public and private health care systems in the country. They also have time to explore the beautiful towns of Atenas and Sarchí and learn more about Costa Rica’s culture and traditions.
RINCON DE LA VIEJA
On this excursion students will stay at Buena Vista Lodge, and old Hacienda that has been changed into a mountain lodge. All meals and attractions are withing the land of the hacienda, such as horseback riding, canopy tours, water slides, and natural hot springs. The lodge is a great example of sustainability, as all of the vegetables and goods for every meal come directly from its fields. Students typically enjoy this excursion because it is all-inclusive!