- Classes taught in English and Spanish
- Designed for students concentrating in the health fields
- Visits to local healthcare facilities
- Volunteer opportunities with the local community
- Opportunities for clinical observation on medical rotations
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to students with a minimum of one year of college-level Spanish or the equivalent required
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
195 HOURS PER QUARTER
SEMESTER: 12 SEMESTER CREDITS
This program is ideal for those who want to pursue health studies in Latin America. The International Center for Development Studies (ICDS), in partnership with Hospital Clínica Bíblica, offers an eleven-week program to provide university students in the health fields an opportunity to improve their language proficiency and interact with Spanish-speaking patients and their families, while gaining a more in-depth understanding of healthcare in Latin America.
Two of the courses offered will be taught under the care of Hospital Clínica Bíblica, Costa Rica’s largest and most prestigious private hospital with over 70 years of experience.
The program offers two weekend field study field trips around the country.
Through the Clínica Bíblica, ICDS is able to offer students the option to observe rotations with local doctors. There will be 10 spaces available in the winter program and students will observe the doctor’s rotations on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (so as to avoid time conflicts with coursework). The option has no credit attached to it. Interested students will be required to demonstrate an advanced level of Spanish proficiency. For more information on this option, contact the API San José Program Manager.
Transcripts are issued jointly by the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica and the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS). Universidad Latina is accredited by the National Council of Higher Education, National Accreditation System for Higher Education (SINAES) and Red Iberoamericana para la Acreditación de la Calidad de la Educación Superior (RIACES). Universidad Latina also is a Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center for project management education programs.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Hannah Stack is the San José Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to Costa Rica.
Francy Orozco is the San José Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Costa Rica.