- Service-learning class taught in English
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to all levels of Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Intake Interview
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
3 semester credits
Students who choose to participate in the Service-Learning program in Costa Rica with API will divide their time between volunteering at local projects and completing online coursework. Students will learn by doing and by reflecting on their actions, all the while contributing to the long-term and strategic goals of a community partner abroad. Project areas involve working with children in schools or with children and the elderly in social aid projects, as well as working on a sustainable farm on the outskirts of San José. Students will serve abroad under the guidance of a local site supervisor and a U.S.-based faculty member or assessment coordinator.
Participants can select the one-month, Summer 1 option (for 3 credits) or the two-month, Summer 2 option (for 3 credits). The longer Summer 2 program will allow for greater integration within the host organization and provide more exposure to the host culture and language.
API students will receive a transcript from U.S. accredited Siena College upon completion of the program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Group Reflection Sessions
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Brittany Boehr is the San Joaquín de Flores Service-Learning Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Costa Rica.
Esteban López is the San Joaquín de Flores Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Costa Rica.