- Classes taught in Spanish
- Volunteer and community involvement opportunities
- Transcript from U.S. accredited institution (Fairfield University)
- International excursion
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to advanced and superior-level Spanish students
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
180-270 hours per semester 12-18 semester credits
Designed for American students, the study abroad program in San Joaquín de Flores program at the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores offers advanced and superior level Spanish language courses along with a variety of electives including arts, literature, cultural studies, sociology, and environmental studies taught in Spanish. Students will have the opportunity to interact with “ticos” (as Costa Ricans refer to themselves) outside of the classroom by participating in community service opportunities and cultural activities. All students enroll in 4-6 classes per semester. All students are highly encouraged to enroll in a Spanish language class. Each student’s language level is determined by a Spanish placement exam administered upon arrival by the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores.
Advanced-level students who seek active involvement with local community members in San Joaquín are encouraged to select the Advanced Spanish Conversation course. As part of the course, students complete 20 or more hours of community service at local schools, libraries or retirement homes.
API students receive a transcript from U.S. – accredited Fairfield University upon completion of the program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Mobile Phone
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day, international)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Carolyn Boudreau is the San Joaquín de Flores Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Costa Rica.
Esteban López is the San Joaquín de Flores Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Costa Rica.