- Classes taught in Spanish
- Transcript from U.S. accredited institution (Fairfield University)
- Great option for pre-med/nursing students
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to students with four semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
If you require syllabi that are not listed below, please contact your API Program Coordinator.
Communication for Medical Professions (3) – Conducted in Spanish [Syllabus]
This course seeks to enable students to communicate more effectively with Spanish speakers requiring medical attention and to understand how cultural norms can influence interactions between medical professionals and their patients. A large part of the course will focus on the healthcare system in Costa Rica, in order to introduce a different approach to healthcare and help students understand what patients in a non-US healthcare system might expect from their treatment. Students will practice vocabulary needed to discuss medical situations in Spanish. The objectives of the course include: improving auditory comprehension and oral expression in order to effectively communicate with Spanish-speaking patients and Spanish-speaking staff in U.S. clinics and hospitals; acquiring pertinent vocabulary; developing awareness and understanding of Hispanic cultural norms and concepts and gaining an understanding of how these cultural norms can affect treatment for Spanish-speaking patients and their family members.
Advanced Spanish Grammar (3) – Conducted in Spanish [Syllabus]
The purpose of this course is to help students improve their style and skills writing in Spanish. Grammatical topics covered vary based upon the student’s level, as demonstrated by completion of an on-site placement test.