- Courses in English and Mandarin
- 2.5 G.P.A.
- Open to 2nd semester freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to all levels of Mandarin speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- One passport photo
- Photocopy of passport
- Entry requirements: valid passport and student visa
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
12-15 semester credits
Students who choose to study abroad in Shanghai with API will take courses at East China Normal University (ECNU). ECNU a national renowned university under the direct auspices of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, is one of the most prestigious universities in the country. Founded in 1951, it is nationally accredited by the Ministry of Education of the PRC and a member of the prestigious 211 and 985 projects. Boasting one of the most beautiful university campuses in China, the university is reputed as the “garden university.”
ECNU is a research university with an extensive range of disciplines including education, social sciences, humanities, natural sciences & technologies and administrative sciences. ECNU currently enrolls more than 30,000 students from all parts of China and abroad, of which more than 5,000 are international students. The Global China Program will be hosted in ECNU North Zhongshan Road Campus (Downtown Campus).
Students in this program will have several study options:
- Select one Chinese language course for 6 credits and 2 courses taught in English for a total of 12 semester credits; or
- Select 3 courses taught in English plus a Chinese language course for 6 credits for a total of 15 semester credits; or
- Select 4 courses taught in English for a total of 12 semester credits; or
- Select the Internship course (4 or 6 credits) plus one 3 credit language course and 2 English courses for a total of 13-15 credits
- Select the internship course (4 or 6 credits) plus three English courses for a total of 13-15 credits
ECNU offers an Internship course for either 4 or 6 credits. Placements are available in business, NGO administration, social services and other areas. Here is a sampling of Spring 2018 placements (subject to availability). The four-credit option includes 224 workplace contact hours and 26 seminar hours. The six-credit option includes 340 work placement hours and 26 seminar hours. There is a supplemental $700 internship placement fee for enrollment in the Internship course.
In addition to the API application materials, students selecting the Internship course option must submit:
- Provide three placements in order of preference (refer to placement listings)
- A one-page Resume
- A 200-400 word Cover Letter
API students receive their transcript from East China Normal University upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Transit Pass
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Manuel Ramirez is the Shanghai Program Coordinator and will work with you through your departure to China.
Corrine Zhou is the Shanghai Resident Coordinator and will work with you during your stay in China.