- Classes taught in Spanish
- Intensive Spanish course available prior to semester
- Semester-long Spanish course available every semester
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to advanced and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- CV or résumé
- Statement of purpose (in Spanish)
- Completion of an oral interview
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT CONTACT HOURS
Semester: 12-17 semester credit hours
The Integrated Studies Program at the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa Maria (UTFSM) offers students the opportunity to study abroad in Valparaíso and take courses at one of the most highly ranked universities in Chile. The university’s beautiful campus overlooks the Pacific Ocean and inspires local students to spend time studying outdoors.
All students will complete a 2-week intensive Spanish course prior to enrolling in courses alongside their Chilean peers. During the semester, students may select a combination of courses designed for visiting international students in Spanish or integrated courses with Chilean students. In terms of the courses with Chileans, most students select courses in the social sciences and humanities. Students interested in science and engineering coursework may select any course for which they have completed the pre-requisite courses on their home campus. Interested students can take a semester-long Spanish course along with their other courses.
ACADEMIC AND CALENDAR YEAR STUDENTS
The Chilean academic calendar follows the calendar year; the first semester in Chile is actually the equivalent of the spring semester in the U.S. Students who wish to study for two semesters in Chile are encouraged to consider the Calendar Year option (spring/fall) rather than the traditional Academic Year option (fall/spring). Students selecting a Calendar Year program have access to API housing throughout their program and are not required to travel or return home during the semester break. In contrast, students selecting an Academic Year option will have approximately a 2.5 month break between semesters during which API housing is not provided.
API students receive a transcript from the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Mobile Phone
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight and day)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals)
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Carolyn Boudreau is the Viña del Mar Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Chile.
Alejandra Rojas is the Valparaíso Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Chile.