- Classes taught in Spanish
- Intensive Spanish course available prior to semester
- Semester-long Spanish course available every semester
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to advanced and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- CV or résumé
- Statement of purpose (in Spanish)
- Completion of an oral interview
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT CONTACT HOURS
Semester: 12-17 semester credits
At the beautiful Universidad Técnica Federico Santa Maria (UTFSM), students have the opportunity to study abroad in Valparaíso and take courses in both English and Spanish at one of the most highly ranked universities in Chile. All students complete a 2-week intensive Spanish course prior to the start of the standard semester. This course is offered at a three different levels, to accommodate students with varying language backgrounds. Students are also welcome to take a Spanish language course during the standard semester.
In addition to language courses, students may select from the following options:
1) courses in English designed for both local students and visiting international students; 2) courses in Spanish designed for visiting international students; 3) integrated courses in Spanish with Chilean students. Students interested in science and engineering coursework may choose any course for which they have completed the prerequisite courses on their home campus.
VOLUNTEER OPTIONS/PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Founded on the belief that education serves as a means of social mobility and personal growth, UTFSM has a strong history of altruism. Interested students can take advantage of volunteer opportunities offered by the university. Visiting students also have the opportunity to get involved with an incredible business incubator, whereby ideas of young students at the university are converted into functioning and profitable businesses. Visiting students can contribute to the vision of a fellow student, earning a certificate that can be used to request internship credit through their home university.
ACADEMIC AND CALENDAR YEAR STUDENTS
The Chilean academic calendar follows the calendar year; the first semester in Chile is actually the equivalent of the spring semester in the U.S. Students who wish to study for two semesters in Chile are encouraged to consider the Calendar Year option (spring/fall) rather than the traditional Academic Year option (fall/spring). Students selecting a Calendar Year program have access to API housing throughout their program and are not required to travel or return home during the semester break. In contrast, students selecting an Academic Year option will have approximately a 2.5 month break between semesters during which API housing is not provided.
API students receive a transcript from the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight and day)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals)
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Carolyn Boudreau is the Viña del Mar Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Chile.
Alejandra Rojas is the Valparaíso Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Chile.