- Classes in English with Bhutanese students
- Internships available for credit
- Visa processing included
- International excursion included (round-trip flight from orientation to Bhutan included)
- Minimum 2.5G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Internship essay
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
Semester: 12-15 semester credits
API students who study abroad in Thimphu, Bhutan will be able to directly enroll with Bhutanese students and take courses as only a few fortunate westerners are able to do! Students will take courses with Bhutanese students in a variety of subject areas, including international business, computer science, Dzongka (traditional Bhutanese language), environmental studies, sustainable development, and much more!
API students have the option to participate in a for-credit internship monitored by a Bhutanese faculty member at RTC . Students will be assessed based on weekly check-ins and reports from the student and internship supervisor, and a final project or paper. The internship is graded and will follow the same grading system as the rest of RTC credited courses. Internship placements may include working with local primary schools, NGOs, government organizations and other social and environmental agencies. Students should indicate their preferred area of placement during the application process, and provide a short essay explaining the type of work they are looking to do and how that will apply to their degree plan or future career ambitions. More information and guidance will be provided upon acceptance. This invaluable experience will allow students to not only learn about the policies of a developing nation, but to give back to the host community while earning credits at the same time! Note that students who are unable or unwilling to complete an internship may substitute an additional course at RTC.
Students receive an official transcript from the Royal Thimphu College – Royal University of Bhutan, upon successful completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Access to International Phone Plans
- Round-trip Airfare (Bangkok – Paro)
- API Alumni Network
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including some meals)
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Global Leadership Academy
Kelsey Patton is the Thimphu Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Bhutan.
Sonam Choden Tshering is the Thimphu Resident Coordinator and will work with you during your stay in Bhutan.