- Classes taught in English
- Study abroad certificate available
- Global leadership program option
- Fieldwork and research opportunities
- Internship opportunities
- Special scholarships available – see the API Scholarships Page!
- Macquarie is ranked #9 Most International University in the World in 2014 by Times Higher Education
- Macquarie is ranked among the world’s top 50 universities for linguistics and psychology – QS World University Rankings
- Macquarie is ranked among the world’s top 100 universities for accounting and finance, communication and media studies, earth and marine sciences, education, literature, geography, and philosophy – QS World University Rankings
- Macquarie is home to Australia’s most technologically advanced private hospital on a university campus
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors only
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Photocopy of passport
- Entry requirement: valid passport student visa
Dates & Fees
API students participate in several excursions per session designed to help familiarize them with areas of their host city, country, and surrounding region. The following is a listing of all excursions for API Sydney programs. All excursions and cultural events are subject to change.
HOST CITY (SYDNEY)
API students will begin their program with a 2.5-day arrival orientation in their host city of Sydney. This orientation will provide the opportunity to get to know fellow participants, API and university procedures, and rules, to explore your new host city and to allow for a smoother transition into Australian life. Students will spend two nights together in a hotel before moving into their semester housing on day three.
BLUE MOUNTAINS AND FEATHERDALE WILDLIFE PARK TOUR
API students will visit Featherdale Wildlife Park, where they can get up close and personal with the native wildlife that Australia is famed for. Students will be able to cuddle up to koalas, hand-feed baby kangaroos, and catch a glimpse of chunky wombats and majestic crocodiles!
The group will then head to Echo Point, where students can soak up spectacular views of the Jamison Valley and the unique rock formation of the Three Sisters. According to Aboriginal legend, this unusual rock formation represents three sisters who were turned to stone. They stand an incredible 922, 918 and 906 meters respectively and are an amazing sight as the sun shifts to cast magnificent colors across the rock face. Students will also have the chance to ride on all three of Scenic World’s most popular attractions. They will experience the Scenic Cableway, the highest cable car in Australia, the Scenic Skyway, and the Scenic Railway, the steepest passenger railway in the world. From all three, students will be able to glean jaw-dropping views of the Blue Mountains from a completely new perspective.
Afterward, the group will skip Sydney’s rush hour by taking a river cruise, where students can learn more about the architecture, history and culture of the city. Students can feel free to grab a drink, kick back, and relax as we glide along the edge of the city. The tour will then wind down in Darling Harbour or Circular Quay.
Midway through the semester API students will fly to Cairns, Northern Queensland for a three-night adventure. this excursion will include opportunities to learn about Aboriginal culture, the flora and fauna unique to the country, and partake in day snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef!
ADDITIONAL CULTURAL EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Aussie Pub Trivia – A mainstay of Australian culture is the mid-week trivia contest (usually with cheap pub meals). “Humpday” can be a downer, but nothing perks you back up for the last leg of the working week like some Q&A action and a counter meal. Join in the fun by showing off your random knowledge and maybe winning a meat tray or a pack of Tim Tams!
- World Famous Comedy Store Showcase – The best way to get to know Australian culture is through their unique sense of humor. Since 1981, Australia’s premier comedy club, The Comedy Store has been the one stop shop for world class comedy from all over the globe and your own backyard. The Comedy Store presents The World Famous Comedy Store Showcase, a hand-picked showcase of the movers, shakers & laughter makers of the comedy scene – 100% Comedy Store approved, tried and tested. Don’t miss out! Loads of comics of different styles, unquestionable quality and guaranteed value for money at Sydney’s premier comedy venue! The best thing about these shows is you never know who might show up!
- Sydney Swans Cricket Match – Come see the great game that is Australian Rules Football as the famous Sydney Swans battle the Brisbane Lions at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG). Come discover Australian culture through this iconic game and learn about handballs, marks and grubbers (they’re not what you think!).
- Royal National Park Tour – A day trip to Royal National Park in Sydney’s south, will offer plenty of opportunities for barbecues, fishing, bushwalking, birdwatching and whale watching. Sydney’s heritage-listed Royal National Park is affectionately known to locals as the ‘Nasho’ or just ‘the Royal’. Established in 1879, it’s the world’s second-oldest national park. It features unique heritage attractions, along with fascinating plants, birds and animals. Perfect for bushwalking, cycling, surfing, picnicking or whale watching, this diverse park offers everything from beaches to rainforest.