- Classes taught in Spanish
- Complete a language course focused on medical Spanish
- Participate in clinical rotations at the Hospital Británico
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to students with a minimum of a low-intermediate level of Spanish experience
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Curriculum vitae (résumé)
- Additional supplemental materials
- Entry requirement: valid passport
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
If you require syllabi that are not listed below, please contact your API Program Manager.
Students earn a total of 6 U.S. semester credits for participating in the Spanish Medical Immersion Program. The intensive language course consists of 60 contact hours of Spanish language instruction and lectures by health professionals. An additional 15 contact hours are reflected on the transcript documenting language practice as part of the clinical rotations. This equates to 1 hour of class time awarded for every 4 hours spent in clinical rotations.
Two levels of Spanish instruction are offered; more advanced speakers will be given tailored writing assignments to correspond with their higher language level.
Español para profesionales de la salud (Spanish for Health Professionals) – Conducted in Spanish (6) [Syllabus]
Specifically designed for medical students and health professionals, this course aims to improve physician-patient interactions with Spanish-speaking patients. The course covers grammatical constructions, specific vocabulary, and cultural topics needed to improve Spanish skills within the field of health. To get a better comprehensive view of the healthcare system, the course will include lectures by guest specialists in the medical field.