- Classes taught in Spanish
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to all levels of Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
Add on a Volunteer Program!
- API students completing a study abroad program (particularly in Latin America) may be interested in extending their stay on an API volunteer abroad program. Click on the link below for more information on options and pricing.
- Volunteer Add-On Options
Dates & Fees
If you require syllabi that are not listed below, please contact your API Program Manager.
Students complete one intensive Spanish language course during each summer session.
Elementary Spanish (3-7) [Syllabus]
Students at the beginning level develop basic language skills. Course objectives include: 1. Integrate knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; 2. Contextualize grammatical elements from the standpoint of real communication; 3. Emphasize the relationship between language and culture, so that the student learns how a language can facilitate access to a culture.
Intermediate Spanish I & II (3-7) [Intermediate I Syllabus] [Intermediate II Syllabus]
These courses require that students already understand basic grammatical concepts so they can be introduced to a more advanced stage of the study of the language, so as to reach an overall dominance of the Spanish language system in its diverse contexts.
Advanced Spanish (3-7) [Syllabus]
This course consolidates the student’s general knowledge of the language and puts a special emphasis on comprehensive reading and production of texts. It offers students the opportunity to improve writing skills, not only with regard to the use of appropriate forms of grammar, but also an adequate organization of texts by different text types. Note: Syllabi are available to further detail the content covered in each Spanish course.