After completing the online application form and submitting the $150 USD initial application deposit (deducted from the total program fee), applicants will be directed to complete the supplemental application components in their @api account. An application is not considered complete until all components are received. All programs require an official transcript, a cover letter, resume, two letters of reference and the University Contact Information Form.
Upon receipt of the application materials, the API internship program coordinator will speak with the applicant about the desired internship placement and learning and career objectives. Before API forwards the application to the overseas office for placement, the applicant will be required to submit a confirmation payment of $400 USD (deducted from the total program fee) to show their commitment to the internship program. We have a very high placement rate, but if for some reason we are unable to place the applicant into a suitable internship, the $400 USD confirmation payment will be refunded.
Internship Placement Process
The typical placement process takes 4-8 weeks, but may take longer depending on the field of study and time of year the application is received. In most cases, the applicant will receive one internship offer that matches their applications and desired preferences to the best of our ability. In some cases the applicant may be required to conduct a phone or Skype interview with the potential internship site. All applicants are placed with a confirmed offer prior to departing on the program.
Accepting the Internship Offer
To move on to the pre-departure process, including immigration visa applications (where required), applicants must to commit to the program by accepting their internship offer and making a $1000 partial payment toward the program cost.
- The $150 USD application deposit is non-refundable unless we are unable to place the applicant into a suitable internship experience or they are not eligible for the program.
- The $400 USD confirmation payment is non-refundable unless we cannot place the applicant into an internship.
- Additional withdrawal penalties apply after the applicant has accepted their internship offer.
- Applicants must be 18 years old by program start date.
- Applicants must have a 2.50 G.P.A. for most placements (or an overseas equivalent) and be in good academic standing at their home university (if still enrolled).
- STEM placements require a 3.0 G.P.A. and sophomore status or higher (at least two years of university coursework completed).
- All STEM placements must be a minimum of 8 weeks, and in some cases may need to be longer.
- Depending on the placement area requested, preferred country, holidays, and availability, you may need to be flexible with your program start date and program length.
- Applicants applying with a GPA below the required will be considered on a case-by-case basis; these applicants must a statement of explanation.
- Complete and return the application and submit all required application components.
- Check with your Study Abroad Advisor or School Registrar (whichever is applicable) for credit approval in advance (if necessary).
Special Considerations for Non-U.S. Citizens
API is happy to consider any international applicants who are university, degree-seeking students in the United States or Canada for the internship program. API will accept applicants from other countries as long as the applicant can access the appropriate immigration visa for the internship program.
Note: API’s ability to advise non-U.S. and Canadian citizens regarding visa procedures is limited. International applicants are advised that they will generally need to work with the host country’s consulate located in their country of origin to solicit a work visa or entry permit.
API application deadlines are typically 4 months prior to the start of the internship program but may be extended by destination. Late applications after the final deadline are accepted on a case-by-case basis. A $180 USD late fee will be charged to all late applicants.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Late applications are considered on a case-by-case basis and incur an additional $180 late application fee.
- The minimum G.P.A. for most placements is 2.50. Applicants who apply with a lower G.P.A. are considered on a case-by-case basis. All applicants with lower G.P.A.s are required to submit a statement of explanation.
- API advises applicants to the internship program to APPLY EARLY. We fill placements as applications and deposits are submitted. API also urges all applicants to discuss the following payment policies with their home university before applying to intern abroad. In certain instances, an applicant’s home university may assume some or all of the program fees, including the application deposit and/or the confirmation payment.