1. Complete the API application
2. Submit the application, cover letter, résumé/CV, and a $150 application deposit (fully applied to overall program cost). Application deadlines listed on program profile pages — Teach — Work — Volunteer).
*Application deposit is non-refundable, unless API is unable to make your placement with host partner. Failure to complete the application does not warrant a refund of the application deposit.
3. Your API Program Manager will contact you to conduct a 20-30 minute phone, Google Hangout or Skype interview to discuss your background, goals, and expectations for your time abroad. If all goes well, API will provisionally accept you to the program, and you will receive a list of required supplemental application materials and an invoice for the program fee.
4. Your supplemental materials must be submitted within 14 days (2 weeks) of your acceptance, along with 50% of your program fee. Your Program Coordinator will then submit your application to our partner abroad, and they will review everything for official acceptance.
5. While you’re waiting for your placement to be confirmed, you may wish to enroll in the optional TEFL course we offer! This course is particularly useful for participants without prior experience teaching English in the US or abroad. Contact your Program Manager for details.
6. The remaining 50% of your program fee is due at least 30 days before your program start date or once we have presented you with information about your official placement, whichever comes first.
7. Confirmation of your official placement and pre-departure materials are provided after receipt of the full program fee.
In the event we are unable to make a placement, your complete program fee, including application fee, will be refunded or may be transferred to another program.
8. Final details about your placement, proof of international insurance, pre-departure materials, and an API t-shirt will be sent to you 1-2 weeks prior to departure.
9. Your experience abroad begins! You will have English-speaking, in-country support, as well as continued support from your Texas-based API Program Manager throughout your program.
*API knows that your adventures abroad wouldn’t be possible without generous hosts welcoming you on your arrival and supporting you throughout your stay. As a way to give back to communities around the world, we want to wrap up your experience and honor your commitment by paying it forward. All participants who respond to our series of program reflection questionnaires will receive a completion bonus from an organization whose mission resonates with our own, and this will, in turn, provide a product or service for someone in need. Choose between a Krama Wheel scarf or a gift card to one of three socially responsible companies API supports.
Krama Wheel – with every product purchased, one weaver is paid fairly, treated respectfully, and better able to support her family; one local seamstress is paid to sew a school uniform; and one child gets a uniform so he or she can attend school. Krama Wheel’s founder is former API employee Roni Sivan! Read about her journey here.