- Classes taught in Spanish
- Housing: local host families and residencias
- Volunteer teaching opportunities available (no credit)
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to beginning, intermediate, advanced and superior level Spanish speakers
- Completed API application
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- University Contact Information Form
- Entry Requirements: Valid passport with student visa (for programs over 90 days)
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
150-250 contact hours per quarter
15-25 quarter credits
10-16 total semester credits
This is a great program for students who want to study abroad in Salamanca and focus on improving their Spanish language skills while taking courses in conversation and culture. All students complete a Spanish grammar course. Beginning level students focus on developing their oral and written proficiency and all courses relate to language study. Intermediate, advanced and superior level students complete 2-3 cultural electives in addition to their grammar course. A student’s language level is determined by a placement exam administered by the University of Salamanca.
Although this program is offered on a quarter system, students from schools on a semester system can still participate and earn a sufficient number of academic credits. Fall and Academic Year Early Start students complete the intensive month prior to the fall quarter. Winter Extended students complete the intensive month upon completion of the winter quarter.
ADDITIONAL CREDIT OPTIONS
Academic year and fall students who want to refresh their Spanish skills before starting their classes should participate in the Early Start programs. These programs include an intensive month of study in September for an additional 80 contact hours of Spanish language instruction and elective coursework.
Winter students interested in taking additional hours may also add an intensive month of Spanish language instruction or elective coursework to the end of the program. Students may also elect to take multiple quarter programs (e.g. winter and spring).
API students will receive a transcript from the University of Salamanca upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Mobile Phone
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception (except spring quarter)
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with host families)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day, international)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Holly Prendergast is the Salamanca Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Spain.
Inma Borrego and Maria Fernández are the are the Salamanca Resident Directors who will work with you during your stay in Spain.