- Classes taught in Spanish
- Housing: local host families, residencias and student apartments
- Internships available (for credit)
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Designed for high advanced and superior level Spanish speakers only
- Completed API application
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- University Contact Information Form
- Entry requirements: valid passport with student visa for programs over 90 days
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
EARLY START SEMESTER 260-305 Contact Hours; 17-20 Semester Credits
SEMESTER 180-225 Contact Hours; 12-15 Semester Credits
Designed for students who wish to study abroad in Granada to acquire a deeper knowledge of Spanish language and culture, the Hispanic Studies program allows students to take an advanced Spanish language course along with several elective courses in Spanish. Students must have completed a minimum of five semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent. Upon arrival, students take a language placement test to verify that they are ready for classes at the high advanced or superior levels (European Framework levels B2.2, C1 and C2 respectively). Students testing below the high advanced level are transferred to the Language and Culture program and can choose from the courses listed for that program. Academic Year students who do not place high enough for the Hispanic Studies Program during the fall semester may switch to the Spanish Language and Culture Program for the fall and then move into the Hispanic Studies Program for the spring semester. Elective courses are conducted at an upper-division (300-400) level.
Semester credit hours earned vary based on the number of courses taken and passed. Students complete 4 or 5 classes per semester. Additional courses can be taken for an extra fee. Spring and year students have the option of taking 1-2 courses with Spaniards for an additional fee.
Students completing and passing the required courses for the entire academic year receive a Diploma de Estudios Hispánicos.
EARLY START OPTIONS FOR FALL AND ACADEMIC YEAR STUDENTS
Students who want to refresh their Spanish skills before starting their classes can participate in the fall and academic year early start programs, which include an intensive month of study in September for an additional 80 contact hours of Spanish language instruction.
API students will receive a transcript from the University of Granada upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Mobile Phone
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with host families)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day, international)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Courtney Ray Goodson is the Granada Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Spain.
Carmen López Márquez and Carmen Chico Mohedano (“Curra”) are the Granada Resident Directors and will work with you during your stay in Spain.