- Classes taught in Spanish
- Students will enroll directly in classes with Spaniards
- Housing: local host families
- Internships available (for credit)
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Good academic standing at home university
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Completed API application
- University Contact Information Form
- This program is for superior level Spanish speakers. Students must have completed at least one upper division course of college-level Spanish or have the equivalent linguistic competency for admission. An oral interview is conducted with students to determine Spanish proficiency.
- Entry requirements: valid passport with student visa
Dates & Fees
TOTAL SEMESTER CREDITS
270-390 contact hours per semester
18-26 U.S. credits per semester
The Advanced Language and Integrated Studies Program is a great opportunity for the motivated, advanced Spanish speaker to study abroad in Cádiz. With its three tracks, this unique program allows students to focus on advanced language study, pursue an internship, and/or enroll directly in classes with Spaniards. All tracks provide opportunities to take courses with local students.
At the start of the semester, all students complete an intensive Spanish language course. Students in the Advanced Language Track continue to study language throughout the semester, whereas students in the Direct Enrollment Track instead select their courses from among the many classes offered by the University of Cádiz, including the option to choose from additional language courses (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Moroccan, Portuguese, and Russian). Not all levels are available every semester.
ADVANCED LANGUAGE TRACK
Students who wish to focus more exclusively on perfecting their Spanish language skills are advised to select this track. In addition to the initial intensive Spanish course, students complete an additional 180 contact hours (12 semester credits) of language study throughout the semester. Students who wish to take courses with Spaniards may also select 1-2 courses from among the offerings at the University of Cádiz. Each course is taught in Spanish and is generally the equivalent of four semester credits.
In addition to the initial intensive Spanish course, students complete an additional 180 contact hours (12 semester credits) of language study throughout the semester, and participate in an internship for 60 contact hours (4 semester credits). Internship placements may include the following fields: education, business, tourism, and more. This option may require an additional fee.
DIRECT ENROLLMENT TRACK
This track is designed for students who wish to complete their courses in Spanish with local students. By taking their classes with native Spanish students, this track offers a more challenging and authentic Spanish classroom atmosphere. After completing the preparatory intensive language course, students select 3-4 electives from among the extensive offerings at the University of Cádiz. Each course generally equates to four semester credits.
API students will receive a transcript from the University of Cádiz upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Mobile Phone
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with host families)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day, international)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Carmen Fernández Díaz