- Classes: taught in Spanish & English
- Housing: Student apartments, local host families and residence halls (additional fees apply for Barcelona residence halls)
- Volunteer and community involvement activities
- Social & cultural activities
- International excursion
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- API application
- University Contact Information Form
- Letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Additional application forms (including a housing form, a course form, and visa form)
- One (electronic) passport-sized photo
- Entry Documents: valid passport with student visa
- Language: beginning, intermediate, advanced level students
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
SEMESTER: 12 Semester Credits
This program is designed for students who wish to complete elective courses primarily in English in combination with Spanish language. Spanish language is offered at all levels at the UAB. All students will complete an online Spanish language placement test to determine their Spanish level. Based on a student’s language level, the number of elective courses in English will vary. Any student may choose to add extra elective courses for an additional fee. Almost all elective courses are conducted in English and are upper-division courses. UAB language levels correspond to the European Common Framework.
Option 1: Spanish Language and Electives (for all Spanish levels)
Students testing in the A1, A2 or B1.1 levels (the equivalent to beginning and low intermediate levels, according to the European Common Framework) will be required to complete a minimum of 3 credit hours of Spanish. Alternately, students at any of these three lower levels may choose to complete a 6-credit Spanish course. Students testing into the B1.2 level or higher are not required to complete any Spanish language courses, though it is highly recommended. Students at the B1.2 level or higher who elect to complete Spanish will complete the equivalent of 90 hours of language study. Students selecting this track will complete two electives in English if they complete a 6-credit hour Spanish course and three electives in English if they complete a 3-credit hour Spanish course.
Option 2: Electives only (for Spanish levels B1.2 and higher only)
Students who test in the B1.2 level or higher on the online UAB Spanish placement test are eligible to select four elective courses in English, in lieu of completing any Spanish language courses.
Students may split their studies between two campuses: the Sant Pau campus and the Eixample campus, which are satellite campuses of UAB’s main Bellaterra campus. The Eixample campus is located within a 30-minute walk or 15-minute metro ride of the Sant Pau campus, and a 5 minute walk from the Plaza Catalunya. The Sant Pau campus is located in the Eixample neighborhood of Barcelona. Here students study in a fabulous, renovated UNESCO World Heritage building. The Sant Pau campus is a 20-25 minute metro ride from the Plaza Catalunya. Coursework at the Eixample campus can be combined with coursework at Sant Pau Campus.
API students will receive a transcript from the University Autonoma of Barcelona upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Mobile Phone
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with host families)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day, international)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Holly Howson is the Barcelona Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Spain.
The API Barcelona team consists of several great Resident Directors who will work with you during your stay in Spain.