- Classes: taught in Spanish & English
- Housing: student apartments, local host families
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- API application
- University Contact Information Form
- Letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Additional application forms (including a housing form and a course form)
- One (electronic) passport-sized photo
- Copy of passport (or confirmation of passport application)
- Entry Documents: valid passport
- Open to rising juniors and seniors only
- Language: One previous semester of college level Spanish
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS PER SEMESTER
- Contact hours: 90
- Semester credits: 6
This program is designed for students who want study abroad in Barcelona to learn more about Catalan art, culture, and identity. The courses provide students with tools to set the frame for a broader perspective on the Spanish and European cultures, political systems, and society, and allow them acquire a deep understanding of the Spanish political institutions and recent history. Barcelona is an ideal location to host such a program thanks to its landscape, which allows for the symbiosis among cosmopolitanism, cultural diversity and site as the Catalonian capital. Bilingualism, integration and migration are only some of the topics that students analyze in class and beyond, as they soak up Barcelona’s vibrant city life.
In addition to the course-related activities, all participants in the program take part in activities and field studies that are a substantial part of the program. These cover prominent aspects of the summer program topics. Field studies and co-curricular activities may include: Opening Ceremony and Opening Lecture; Evening tour: the Political Scenarios of Barcelona: City Hall and Generalitat; Visit to the Catalan Parliament and Debate with Parliamentarians; A course integrated overnight study tour to “The Catalan No-Borders: Historical Ties with The Pays Catalan”; Closing Ceremony and Concert. These co-curricular activities and excursions are expert-led and members of either the UPF faculty or the universities that host such field trips give lectures to the students.
API students will receive a transcript from the Pompeu Fabra University upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Mobile Phone
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry with host families)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Holly Howson is the Barcelona Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Spain.
The API Barcelona team consists of several great Resident Directors who will work with you during your stay in Spain.