- Classes taught in English (with exception of Spanish language course)
- Housing: host families
- International excursion
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Students must be currently enrolled in a U.S. or foreign university
- Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- No previous knowledge of Spanish is required, but one semester is recommended
- Completed API application
- One letter of recommendation
- University Contact Information Form
- One official transcript
- Statement of purpose
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
180 hours per semester
12 semester credits
Additional courses may be taken for an additional fee.
The Spanish Language, Business and Liberal Arts Program at the Universidad de Costa Rica (UCR) allows international students to improve their Spanish language skills by completing six semester credits of Spanish language while simultaneously taking two electives in English in a wide variety of academic areas such as biology, business, arts, music and others. In addition, subject to a student’s language proficiency, elective courses in Spanish may be substituted for electives in English. Each elective course is equivalent to three semester credits. All courses are taught by qualified UCR professors in each field of study and have been designed to meet the specific needs and demands of international students.
The core course is the 6-credit hour Spanish language class offered in the mornings, and the elective courses are offered in the afternoons. Any field trips associated with classes take place on Fridays or on the weekends. These mandatory field trips are included in the API program price and are not an additional fee.
API students receive a transcript from the Universidad de Costa Rica (UCR) upon completion of thier program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- API Centers, Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day, international)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities