- All classes taught in Spanish
- Housing: host families
- Volunteer and community involvement opportunities
- International excursion
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to advanced and superior level Spanish students
- Completion of four semesters of college level Spanish or the equivalent
- Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Completed API application
- Course form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- University Contact Information Form
- All classes taught in Spanish
- Entry requirement: valid passport
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
180-270 hours per semester 12-18 semester credits
Designed for American students, the study abroad program in San Joaquín de Flores program at the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores offers advanced and superior level Spanish language courses along with a variety of electives including arts, literature, cultural studies, sociology, and environmental studies taught in Spanish. Students will have the opportunity to interact with “ticos” (as Costa Ricans refer to themselves) outside of the classroom by participating in community service opportunities and cultural activities. All students enroll in 4-6 classes per semester. All students are highly encouraged to enroll in a Spanish language class. Each student’s language level is determined by a Spanish placement exam administered upon arrival by the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores.
Advanced-level students who seek active involvement with local community members in San Joaquín are encouraged to select the Advanced Spanish Conversation course. As part of the course, students complete 20 or more hours of community service at local schools, libraries or retirement homes.
CLASSES WITH COSTA RICAN STUDENTS
High-advanced or superior-level Spanish speakers have the option of enrolling in one class with Costa Rican students per semester at the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica (UL) for no additional fee. Enrollment at the UL also allows API students to participate in sports and other activities with Costa Rican students. Subjects available include advertising, business, communications, education, law, and public relations. Students who choose to study at the Universidad Latina must submit an official high school transcript and copy of their diploma to API in addition to their college transcript upon applying. An additional fee per class is charged for students who take two or more classes at the UL.
API students receive a transcript from U.S. – accredited Fairfield University upon completion of the program. Students who enroll in classes with Costa Rican students receive an additional transcript from the Universidad Latina.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Directors
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight, day, international)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Brittany Boehr is the San Joaquín de Flores Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Costa Rica.
Esteban López is the San Joaquín de Flores Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Costa Rica.