- Classes available for all levels of Spanish speakers
- Options to take couses with Chilean students
- Volunteer and community involvement opportunities
- Housing: host families
- International excursion in spring
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A.
- Open to students at all levels of Spanish; one semester of Spanish language highly recommended
- Open to freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Completed API application
- University Contact Information Form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents (more information provided post-acceptance)
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT CONTACT
Semester: 12-17 semester credit hours
The Universidad Viña del Mar is a private institution in Chile that boasts a beautiful campus a short bus ride away from the center of Viña del Mar. Those who choose to study abroad in Vina del Mar have the opportunity to complete Spanish language courses at all levels in combination with a variety of elective courses in either English or Spanish. All students complete a placement test upon arrival to determine their Spanish level.
All Spanish language and culture courses consist only of visiting students, but courses taught in English are also open to Chilean students. Additionally, advanced-level Spanish speakers have the opportunity to complete a “Cultures in Contact” course with local Chilean students. Students selecting this course may choose to complete volunteer work to further advance their understanding of the Chilean culture and society.
Advanced Spanish speakers who are interested in completing additional courses with Chileans are advised that integrated classes end a bit later than courses for visiting students. Students selecting this option would have a later program end date and would be required to pay an additional fee to extend their API housing.
ACADEMIC AND CALENDAR YEAR STUDENTS
The Chilean academic calendar follows the calendar year: the first semester in Chile is actually the equivalent of the spring semester in the U.S. Students who wish to study for two semesters in Chile are encouraged to consider the Calendar Year option (spring/fall) rather than the traditional Academic Year option (fall/spring). Students selecting a Calendar Year program have access to API housing throughout their program and are not required to travel or return home during the semester break. In contrast, students selecting an Academic Year option will have approximately a 2-month break between semesters during which API housing is not provided.
Students who are interested in participating in volunteer opportunities while abroad can select from several options available at the Universidad Viña del Mar. Students may apply to participate in a government initiative to teach foreign languages in schools or volunteer at local orphanages.
API students receive a transcript from the Universidad Viña del Mar upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Mobile Phone
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight and day)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals)
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities