- Classes taught in Spanish
- Business internship available
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- No minimum study of Spanish required, unless selecting the business internship track
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
Dates & Fees
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
90 contact hours per term; 6 semester credit
Students who choose to study abroad in Valparaíso in API’s Chilean Culture and Spanish Language Program have the opportunity to complete 6 semester credits of language and culture coursework. Beginning and intermediate-level Spanish speakers will complete a Spanish grammar course along with a conversation and culture course. Advanced Spanish speakers may choose to complete a grammar course along with an elective course or simply select two elective courses. All courses are available only to visiting international students and are taught in Spanish. All courses are equivalent to three semester credits.
BUSINESS INTERNSHIP TRACK (2-8 CREDITS)
Students with an advanced Spanish level are eligible to complete a credit-bearing internship in the field of business. The program is designed for students interested in business administration, family and small business management, marketing, tourism and entrepreneurship. The internship represents a total of 90 work hours and students will complete a complementary course alongside the internship to orient them to the economic and business environment of Chile. Students who select the internship option may enroll in one or two additional courses during the summer session, selecting from advanced language courses, an English-taught elective entitled Identity Issues in Contemporary Latin American History: An Intercultural Approach or one of the following options taught in Spanish:
- Literatura Hispanoamericana Contemporaranea (Contemporary Hispanic American Literature)
- Cine y Literatura Latinoamericana (Film and Latin American Literature)
- Historia Sociopolítica de América Latina, siglos XX-XXI (Sociopolitical History of Latin America, 20th and 21st Centuries)
Students selecting this option and completing one course will pay an additional fee of US$250; those who select the internship and two courses will pay an additional fee of US$650. Students are encouraged to apply earlier than standard deadlines.
Note: Credit hours earned will vary based on whether a student completes the internship alone or if additional courses are also completed.
API students receive a transcript from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso upon completion of their program.
- @api Online System
- Orientation Materials and Resources
- Peer Mentors
- Social Networking
- Airport Reception
- Resident Director
- On-Site Orientation
- Housing (including meals and laundry)
- Mobile Phone
- Language & Culture Tools
- Medical & Life Insurance
- Excursions (overnight and day)
- Social & Cultural Activities
- Welcome and Farewell Group Meals)
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Re-Entry Materials & Support
- Post-Program Evaluation
- Alumni Network & Professional Development Opportunities
Carolyn Boudreau is the Viña del Mar Program Manager and will work with you through your departure to Chile.
Karla Jofré is the Viña del Mar Resident Director, and will work with you during your stay in Chile.